A Quantity Surveyor (QS) is a construction industry professional with expert knowledge on construction costs and contracts. In some countries such as here in Kenya, Canada, South Africa and Mauritius, qualified quantity surveyors are known as Professional Quantity Surveyors, a title protected by law.
The duties of a quantity surveyor are as follows;
- Cost estimate, cost planning and cost management
- Analysing terms and conditions in the contract.
- Predicting potential risks in the project and taking precautions to mitigate such.
- Forecasting the costs of different materials needed for the project.
- Preparing tender documents, contracts, budgets and other documentation.
- Tracking changes and adjusting the budget accordingly.
- Tender management including preparation of bills of quantities, contract conditions and assembly of tender documents
- Contract management and contractual advice
- Valuation of construction work to inform you how much to pay your contractor
- Claims and dispute management